OUR APPROACH TO PRIVACY
Hostragon is committed to protecting your privacy. We believe privacy is a right and thus, will never sell or even negotiate with anyone about your data. Ever.
You may find these policies at our Terms of Service useful in learning how we handle information.
Hostragon complies with the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-EU Privacy Shield Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information transferred from the European Union and Switzerland to the United States, respectively (Privacy Shield).
To learn more about Privacy Shield, please visit the U.S. Department of Commerce Privacy Shield website: www.privacyshield.gov.
Contacting us about privacy related questions and issues: privacy[at]hostragon.com
Requests to delete personal information we have collected after creating a web hosting account can be done by filling out our data deletion form.
Hostragon provides software and services which allow customers to manage their web hosting activities via hosting automation software made available via our website located at www.hostragon.com or through those that resell Hostragon products and/or services, or those who are legally entitled to use the Hostragon products and/or services.
With the exception of individuals that use the Hostragon products and/or services as customers of our Hostragon Resellers (as described at 3.1 below), Hostragon is the controller responsible for the personal information we hold about you.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU AND HOW WE USE IT
We process personal information about the following types of individuals:
- individuals who are our direct customers;
- where our customer is a business or similar entity, individuals who are our customer’s employees, agents and other representatives; and
- where the Hostragon products and/or services is licensed through Hostragon Reseller.
We collect personal information about you when you voluntarily submit information directly to us when you access our website or use the Hostragon products and/or services. This can include information you provide to us when you register for an account, fill in a form, correspond with us via the website, phone, email, or otherwise, subscribe to our mailing lists, newsletters, or other forms of marketing communications, respond to surveys or use some other feature of the Hostragon products and/or services as available from time to time.
If you choose not to provide personal information, we may not be able to provide the Hostragon products and/or services to you or respond to your other requests. If you opt-out of the sale of information, we may be unable to provide services to you if your request not to sell information includes a prohibition on processing payments for the products you purchase.
Schedule 1 describes categories of personal information we collect and how we use that personal information. When we process that personal information, the legal basis we rely on for this activity is also set out. If personal information is provided to third parties, that fact is stated. Finally, Schedule 1 also sets out information as to how we determine applicable retention periods.
Regardless of whether you license the Hostragon products and/or services directly from us, or through Hostragon Reseller, we automatically collect certain personal information about you indirectly about how you access and use the Hostragon products and/or services and information about the device you use to access the Hostragon products and/or services.
Schedule 2 sets out the categories of personal information we collect about you automatically and how we use that information. The schedule also lists the legal basis which we rely on to process the personal information, the categories of recipients of the personal information, and information as to how we determine applicable retention periods.
We may link or combine the personal information we collect about you and the information we collect automatically. This allows us to provide you with a personalized experience regardless of how you interact with us.
We may anonymize and aggregate any of the personal information we collect (so that it does not directly identify you). We may use anonymized information for purposes that include testing our IT systems, research, data analysis, improving the Hostragon products and/or services, and developing new products and features. We may also share such anonymized information with others.
MARKETING AND ADVERTISING
Building services for the world means we have a responsibility to keep your data safe. We do not sell our users’ names or phone numbers to third parties because it is against our ethics. Period.
From time to time we may contact you with relevant information about the Hostragon products and/or services. Most messages we send will be by email. For some messages, we may use the personal information we collect about you to help us determine the most relevant information to share with you.
If you do not want to receive such messages from us, you will be able to tell us by selecting certain boxes on forms we use when we first collect your contact details. You can change your marketing preferences by clicking on the unsubscribe by going to your Account Details page which is accessed via the User menu within the client area.
APPLYING FOR A JOB THROUGH OUR SITE
If you apply for a job through the website, we, or a human resources company assisting us, may ask you to provide certain self-identifying information in conjunction with laws and regulations enforced by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and other federal, state, and local regulatory agencies. Providing self-identifying information is voluntary, but if you do provide us with that information, we may submit it to the EEOC, and other federal, state, and local regulatory agencies, upon legal compulsion, for business-related purposes, responding to information requests, fulfilling regulatory reporting requirements and defending against employment-related complaints.
STORING AND TRANSFERRING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We implement and maintain appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect your personal information against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, change or damage.
All personal information we collect from the Hostragon products and/or services will be stored on secure servers and will be protected by SSL encryption technology.
All electronic transactions entered into via our website will be protected by SSL encryption technology.
Where you register for an account on the Hostragon products and/or services, you are responsible for maintaining your account’s security as explained in our Terms of Service.
If you are not a direct Hostragon customer, information about your account’s security may be explained in the contract between you and the Hostragon Reseller from whom you subscribed to the Hostragon products and/or services.
INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The personal information we collect may be transferred to and stored in countries outside of the jurisdiction you are in where we and our third-party service providers have operations. If you are located in the European Union (EU), your personal information will be processed outside of the EU including in the United States; these international transfers of your personal information are made pursuant to appropriate safeguards, such as the EU-US Privacy Shield.
CERTAIN RIGHTS THAT APPLY IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE EU
In accordance with applicable privacy law, you have the following rights regarding personal information covered by the GDPR that we hold:
- right of access: The right to obtain access to your personal information.
- right to rectification: The right to obtain rectification of your personal information without undue delay where that personal information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- right to erasure: The right to obtain the erasure of your personal information without undue delay in certain circumstances, such as where the personal information is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or processed.
- right to restriction: The right to obtain the restriction of the processing undertaken by us on your personal information in certain circumstances, such as where the accuracy of the personal information is contested by you, for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of that personal information.
You also have the right to object to any processing based on our legitimate interests where there are grounds relating to your particular situation. There may be compelling reasons for continuing to process your personal information, and we will assess and inform you if that is the case. You can object to marketing activities for any reason.
If you wish to exercise one of these rights, please do contact us
PURSUANT TO PRIVACY SHIELD
For data that is received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield, we have agreed to the Privacy Shield’s principles of Notice, Choice and Onward Transfer.
- Notice: Schedules 1 and 2 describes the personal information we collect about you, how we use it, and the types of third parties with whom we share it.
- Choice: Disclosure to third parties of personal information covered by Privacy Shield is set out in Schedules 1 and 2. For personal information covered by Privacy Shield, and which is not required for the operation of the Products or Services, we will provide you with an opportunity to decline to have us disclose this personal information to third parties for a purpose that is different than the one for which it was originally collected. Email marketing is opt-in, lists are segmented by reason for collection, and recipients may remove their names from email lists by unsubscribing.
- Onward Transfer: When Hostragon discloses information to third parties to provide functions on its behalf, Hostragon will take appropriate measures to protect the privacy of the personal information it transfers. These measures are set out in paragraph 6.1. This personal information will only be shared with third parties to the extent reasonably necessary for them to perform the services contracted for, or when Hostragon must comply with applicable law. Third parties will not be authorized by us to process personal information in any other way. Hostragon is responsible for the processing of personal information that it transfers to third parties acting as an agent on its behalf.
If you wish to exercise one of these rights, please contact us.
PRIVACY SHIELD JURISDICTION AND ENFORCEMENT
As part of our participation in the Privacy Shield, we are subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
Hostragon has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the Privacy Shield Principles to an independent dispute resolution mechanism, the BBB EU Privacy Shield, operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. If your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit https://www.bbb.org/EU-privacy-shield/for-eu-consumers for more information and to file a complaint.
Finally and as a last resort, EU or Swiss individuals with residual complaints may invoke a binding arbitration option before the Privacy Shield Panel (as that term is defined in the Privacy Shield Framework).
Please note that we may be liable for the onward transfer of EU and Swiss personal data to agent third parties unless we can prove we were not a party to the actions giving rise to the damages.
Hostragon may be required to reveal EU and Swiss personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities and to meet national security and law enforcement requirements.
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
Cookies allow for personalization of your experience by saving your information such as user ID and other preferences. A cookie is a small data file that we transfer to your device's hard disk (such as your computer or smart-phone) for record-keeping purposes.
We use the following types of cookies:
- strictly necessary cookies: these are cookies that are required for the essential operation of our Corporate Site and products such as to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use.
- analytical/performance cookies: they allow us to recognize and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our Corporate Site and products when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Corporate Site and products work, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- functionality cookies: these are used to recognize you when you return to our Corporate Site and products. This enables us to personalize our content for you, greet you by name, and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region), and your username.
targeting cookies: these cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website, and the advertising displayed on it, more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
SELF SERVICE PORTALS
Hostragon may provide blogs, chat features and moderated and unmoderated FAQs on the website (Self Service Portal). When you interact with a Self Service Portal, the information you provide may be read by Hostragon employees. In addition, if you provide information to a Self Service Portal, other than the method of contact operated by Hostragon, any personal information you submit may be seen by third parties outside of Hostragon’s control.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES
The Hostragon products and/or services may, from time to time, contain links to and from third-party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. Please check the individual policies before you submit any information to those websites.
OUR POLICY TOWARDS CHILDREN
The Hostragon products and/or services is not directed at persons under 16 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If you become aware that your child has provided us with personal information, without your consent, then please contact us using the details below so that we can take steps to remove such information and terminate any account your child has created with us.
HOW TO REQUEST INFORMATION ABOUT THE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Customers should fill out a request by logging in through their customer account. The customer’s identity will be verified after logging into the account.
HOW TO REQUEST THAT WE DELETE PERSONAL INFORMATION
Customers should fill out a request by logging in their Hostragon account or by visiting Hostragon Privacy Request Form
HOW TO OPT OUT OF THE SALE OF INFORMATION
Providing certain personal information to third parties may be necessary to pay license fees or to enable third party products to operate. This may be considered within the definition of a "sale" under some state statutes.
If you wish to anonymize your payment for our products and/or services, please do contact our account teamfor direction.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
NOTICE TO YOU
If we need to provide you with information about something, whether, for legal, marketing, or other business-related purposes, we will select what we believe is the best way to get in contact with you. We will usually do this by email, by placing a notice on our website, as well as contacting the email address provided to us by you, or the Hostragon Reseller.
CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS – YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
SWEEPSTAKES, CONTESTS AND PROMOTIONS
We may offer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions (Promotion) that may require registration. By participating in a Promotion, you are agreeing to the official rules that govern that Promotion, which may contain specific requirements of you by, except where prohibited by law, allowing the sponsor(s) of the Promotion to use your name, voice, likeness or other indicia of persona in advertising or marketing associated with the Promotion. If you choose to enter a Promotion, your personal information may be disclosed to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law or permitted by the Promotion’s official rules, such as on a winners list.
ANALYTICS IN GENERAL
Hostragon uses a cutting-edge, machine learning algorithmic-driven and GDPR-compliant behavioral analysis tool to make your experience on our website better.
This tool helps us to:
- make data-driven decisions on what works for you and what does not.
- test what content works best and where to place it on our page.
- understand confusing elements of our website.
- test and publish new ideas on to our website.
Hostragon and all Corporate Sites use Google Analytics. Google Analytics is enabled by default. Information collected by Hostragon using Google Analytics is retained for up to 26 months after your most recent activity.
To understand the information collected by Google Analytics, please follow this link.
The following information is collected by Hostragon, retained by Hostragon, and transmitted to Google using Google Analytics:
- audience information: this includes anonymized information about you, including your geographic location, preferred interface languages, how often you return, and what devices you use to access Hostragon.
- acquisition information: this includes information about the path you took to arrive at your Hostragon account, if you performed a search in order to find your account, if you clicked an advertisement which took you to your account, or if you participated in any social media or marketing campaigns which enabled you to arrive at your account.
- behavior information: this includes information about what features of your Hostragon you use regularly and which paths through Hostragon you took.
- conversion information: this includes information about what goals you have achieved using Hostragon.
DISABLING GOOGLE ANALYTICS
To opt-out of Google Analytics measurement for all sites, you can install the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on
You can also control your participation in Google Analytics by locating the Manage Cookies preference and allowing or declining cookies. Declining cookies will disable your participation in Google Analytics.
Last modified and reviewed on Feb. 26th, 2021.